Sunday, November 7, 2010

Making time and taking time out to find YOU in the chaos that is Mummyhood

Last week I took the time to paint my toes nails, make tea in
a pretty tea cup, eat yummy cookies and wear my fave heals while sitting
outside watching the rain. Even the birdies thought it was a good idea
and joined me while they snuggled together :)
it might seem crazy silly but it was good and I'm glad
I ignored the toy pickup and dishes.

Despite what anyone says there are good Mummy's everywhere, busy to the max and endeavouring to do their very best all the time for their children.
Mummy hood turns the world upside down in a whole variety of ways...the good, the bad and the indescribable experience of caring for little beings that seem as though they are simply pieces of your heart toddling around outside your body.

Relaxing, sleep ins, Nana naps, date nights, Salon visits, visiting late with friends, travelling light, travel...

These are all things that may seem a thing of the past if you have entered into the Mummy realm, but it's important to adapt some of these things if you can. We have to remember that although we may be mummys we are people too. We cannot properly care for our children and others if we ignore our own needs or we are at a risk of losing who we are.

I am constantly reminding myself to slow down and have a breather, make that coffee, take that nap, sit a while, learn to say no sometimes, make realistic goals and take some me time when the opportunity arrises.....if you find you don't have time for you, then make it...it's better not only for you, but for your family too.

Before Andy and myself had children we hoped to keep up a regular date night, we wanted to keep our relationship alive amongst a new life of parenting...we didn't want to be 'that' couple who looked at each other after the kids had grown and moved out and needed an introduction.
We want our children to observe that Mummy and Daddy have a special relationship and model for them what marriage is all about....a happy family begins with a happy, healthy marriage!!!

I am very blessed that I have a very supportive husband who is very active with the children.
Andy, I love you dearly and thankyou so much for all the suport you give me not only as a Mummy but as your Wife and friend!!!!
I wouldn't be able to do the following things without his help:
  •  I ocasionally get a sleep in (BLISS)
  • we make time to sit together for a coffee and adult chat on most days
  •  I get time to grocery shop alone on thursday nights when the kids are in bed(great when allergy shopping as it takes time to read labels)
  • Date night (thanks to mum and dad for babysitting!!!!!)
  • Visits to the salon alone for a much needed hair tidy up
  •  Nana naps
  • The time and support to study my childcare course (also mum and dad for child wrangling at times when I study)
  • We have gotten our munchkins used to sleeping at other peoples houses from birth so that we are able to have a afternoon-late night visit with friends. Allowing time for the kids to socilaise and play then when 7pm hits kids go to bed and the adults get to play! :P
There are so many more but I fear I am boring you.
My point is make the time for you, make couple time, make mummy moments and try to remember that mummy hood is a big Journey and we do need pit stops and rest area's along the way to survive.

I confess, I am one of those Mummys that can't fully relax when the kids go down for a nap or bed at night untill the toys are packed away and the kitchen is relatively clean.
I realise how silly this may sound but it's one of those habbits, I know the kids are just going to hawl all the toys out after their nap but I do it.
 I want to create clear play spaces so they can choose new toys and new activites when they wake and not be distraced by toy mess mania and I like to wake up to a clean fresh kitchen in the mornings instead of looking at a pile of work.
But...sometimes I just have to close your eyes, bite my tounge and look away.....and take the time to shower in peace, have that much needed nap, induge myself in some time out to read or whatever it may be.....a messy house and housework does not define your rank of Mummy hood

I prefer to have a home instead of a house, a cosy place of love and comfort, decorated with expression, warmth, childrens creations, memories and fun!!!

So remember to think before you do..... Is it true, Is it necassary... Is it kind - Buddha.

At that I'll leave you with a poem for Mummys and an interesting read for Mummys to be, it was e-mailed to me years ago and I held on to it becasue it's such a gem. I don't know who the author is but clearly she is a Mummy.

................................

Before I was a Mum

I never tripped over toys or forgot words to a lullaby.
I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous.
I never thought about immunizations.

Before I was a Mum
I had never been puked on.
Pooped on.
Chewed on.
Peed on.
I had complete control of my mind and my thoughts.
I slept all night.

Before I was a Mum
I never held down a screaming child so doctors could do tests.
Or give shots.
I never looked into teary eyes and cried.
I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.
I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.

Before I was a Mum
I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put him down.
I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt.
I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much.
I never knew that I could love someone so much.
I never knew I would love being a Mum.

Before I was a Mum
I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body.
I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby.
I didn't know that bond between a mother and her child.
I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important and happy.

Before I was a Mum
I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was okay.
I had never knownjoy, the love, the heartache, the wonderment or the satisfaction of being a Mum.
I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much, before I was a Mum.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Sublime Shambles of a Shell. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemesfree