Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas drums for toddlers as easy as pa rum pum pum pum

 Every child loves a drum and what better that a special Christmas drum.
For a very easy, quick craft activity you can re-use and recycle to transform discarded items into a much loved toy.

What have you got in your home that has the potential to become a craft opportunity?
Think before you bin great crafting tools/materials that are most commonly looked at as rubbish, empty food containers, boxes, cling wrap and toilet rolls and so on.

We are lucky enough to have a collection of empty formula tins passed onto us by a friend to use for craft containers/materials and in this case transformed into 2 very festive drums.

 By using old formula tins or tins from food items (eg. powdered milk tins, Milo tins etc...) you can do the same.

You can use the existing lid if suitable or craft up your own lid with materials such as fabric, a cut out from an ice cream container lid, ducting tape, leather. Just remember if you are making you own drum lid be sure to seal it to the container.

If you wanted to keep a metal lid (for example from a Milo tin) you could include drum sticks ( chopsticks, wooden sticks, large twigs etc) instead of creating a hand drum.

All that was needed was a paint of festive coloured paint and some sparkles sprinkled on the wet paint.

You could decorate your drum however you like- paint, contact, stickers, fine glitter, re-used Christmas cards, Christmas themed cut outs from magazines and many more.

My munchkins lover their drums and they now sit in pride of place next to the Christmas tree on a bookshelf ready for a good sing song or a play.
A favorite song to play with their new drums is the lovely Christmas song 'Little Drummer Boy'
I thought I would share the lyrics :)

Little Drummer Boy


Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum
A new born King to see, pa rum pum pum pum
Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pum pum pum
To lay before the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

So to honor Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
When we come.

Little Baby, pa rum pum pum pum
I am a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum
I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum
That's fit to give the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum,
On my drum?

Mary nodded, pa rum pum pum pum
The ox and lamb kept time, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my drum for Him, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my best for Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,
Then He smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum
Me and my drum.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Sublime Shambles of a Shell. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemesfree